These Panda Onigiri are too adorable to eat. It can be a little frustrating to make with sticky rice… that is why I’m going to share my recipe and some of my tips and tricks to make the process less painful.
You’ll need a musubi maker and a panda mold!
Sushi Rice ingredients;
– 2 cups cooked and cooled sushi rice
– 4 tbs Rice Vinegar
– 3 tbs sugar
– 2 tsp salt
– 2 tbs mirin
Optional – 1/4 C furikake without bonito
Ingredients for Tofu Musubi:
– 1 package extra firm tofu
– 2 cups sushi rice
– 1/4 C rice vinegar
– 1/2 C soy sauce
– 1/4 C sugar
– 1 package nori sheets
Instructions for tofu musubi:
– in a non-stick pan pour your vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar and simmer at medium heat for 5 minutes.
– cut tofu into squares and place in sauce pan.
– pan fry tofu 2-3 minutes on each side.
– cut nori 2 inches wide.
– place nori on plastic (i used a silicon mat)
– Tip: before you put rice in your musubi maker, splash a little water inside your musubi maker. This will allow the sticky rice to slide out easily.
– using your musubi maker, place rice at the center of your nori sheet.
– fill your musubi maker to the top with sushi rice.
– tip: make sure you put a lot of pressure when pressing down on your musubi maker.
– gently remove the bottom portion of your musubi maker and then remove the lid.
– now assemble your musubi with your cooked tofu.
– tip: on the flaps of the nori sheets, dab with a little water (this will help the nori stick to the tofu and rice.
– you can wrap your musubi in plastic wrap for later.
I got the panda mold at a store in Boulder called ‘Peppercorn’. You can also get it online at amazon!
The only tip i have for the onigiri is to dab water in the inside of your mold.
All you do is wet your mold, add your sushi rice, and press.
It will give you the shape of the panda head.
The mold came with this ‘hole puncher’.
When you place your nori in the ‘hole puncher’ it gives you the shape of the panda’s ears, eyes, nose, and mouth.
You simply place those nori punch out onto your panda rice heads.
You did it! 😀