This is for my dad in heaven. I thought of you every second I was making this recipe – brought me back to a happy memory of you & when I first tried Siopao. It was nice to see you in my mind. Love you, dad.
Although the filling is completely my own recipe, the dough recipe is not my own. It is a veganized version of the original by Bobbie Leigh . She has a great pictorial on her site if you would like to see how the dough is made. I made a few substitutions since I didn’t use shortening, butter, or lard.
I hope you enjoy it as much as my family did!
makes 12 Siopao buns
***You’ll need a steamer and Parshment paper***
Ingredients for dough:
- 2 Cups warm water
- 1 Tbs yeast
- organic sugar 1/2 C + 2 Tbs
- 2 Tbs for yeast mixture
- 1/2 C for dry mixture
- 5 Cups organic all-purpose-flour
- 2 1/2 Tbs baking powder
- 6 Tbs Pure Organic Coconut Oil
Ingredients for filling:
- 2 large portabello mushrooms (you can cube them or dice them)
- 2 Cans Jackfruit
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp sesame seed oil
- 1/4 Cup Soy Sauce
- 3 Tbs vegan hoison sauce
- pepper to taste
Instructions for dough:
- Mix 2 cups warm water with 1 tbs yeast, and 2 tbs sugar in a small bowl
- set aside
- In a large bowl, mix 5 Cups flour, 1/2 C sugar, 2 1/2 tbs baking powder, and 6 tbs coconut oil.
- gently mix making sure the oil is combined well with dry ingredients
- Now gently mix your dry ingredients with your yeast mixture
- Do not over-mix
- Once your dough is sticking together, gently fold into a ball
- Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and set aside for 1 hour – I placed my dough in my oven * please make sure oven is off if you decide to put it in the oven…
- Make filling while waiting for dough to rise.
Instructions for filling:
- Shred your Jackfruit; I started to shred with a fork but found that it was easier using my fingers.
- make sure that all the seeds and hard portions are taken out.
- you just want the shredded looking portion.
- In a non-stick skillet, on medium heat, add your oil and sautee onions and garlic for about 2 minutes.
- Add your jackfruit to the onion and garlic mixture and set the heat to high.
- This will take a while; mix and stir until the jackfruit has a turned light brown
- about 15 minutes
- Add your mushrooms to the jackfruit and continue stirring on high heat.
- another 15 minutes
- Add your soy sauce, hoison sauce, and pepper.
- continue stirring – about 5 minutes
Instructions for assembling your siopao:
- After an hour, retrieve your dough.
- Gently knead once more into a ball
- with your fingers, make a hole in the middle of your dough and spread into a letter “o”.
- cut dough into 12 pieces.
- With your hand, press the dough into a flat circle
- dough will rise in steamer so don’t make it too big
- Add about 2 tbs of your filling to the center of your flat circle
- stretch the ends of the dough so that it meets in the middle and twist
- Twisted side faced down, place a small square sheet of parshment paper.
Instructions for steaming:
- add water to a pot and boil on medium high heat for about 10 minutes
- when steam begins to rise, place your steamer on top of your pot.
- steam buns for 20 minutes
After 20 minutes, you will have a nice and fluffy steamed bun!!